The Hume Robertson Trophy
The London and Provincial Collie Club has a large collection of trophies, shields and cups spread over the three shows. Usually these are donated in memory of a particular dog, breeder or kennel which has caught the imagination and gained the respect of the donator.
The oldest and, in my opinion, the loveliest of these is the Hume Robertson Memorial Trophy 1929. Mr Hume Robertson was the Club’s President during that year and offered specials for the best Blue Merle and Tricolour at the June Member’s Sanction Show.
According to her entry in the Collie Folio Mrs Hume Robertson founded the Porchester Kennels during the early years of the twentieth century and became the premier blue merle breeder before the First World War. Her most famous dog was CH. PORCHESTER BLUE SOL who was the first blue merle dog (male) to become a full champion in England. He was used extensively at stud and one of his sons PORCHESTER BLUE METEOR (dam PORCHESTER MADCAP) was born on 20.09.1912. It is possible that these are the two dogs used in the models for the trophy.
The Trophy has been awarded at shows run by both the Ladies Kennel Club and the L&PCC. Dareen Bridge (Emmsmoor) states that it was given out at LKA during 1934, however it must have been with the L&PCC during the Second World War as in 1956 the Committee decided that it should be presented at the LKA (again). Until 1968 the trophy was presented to the best blue merle at the LKA that was owned by a member of the L&PCC. Because it was dependent on an L&PCC member doing well with a blue merle at the LKA Show, it wasn’t possible to award it every year and the trophy went ‘missing’ for several years at a time.
During 1968 the L&PCC Committee contacted the donator’s kin who gave their permission to award it at the Club’s Open Show. It is now presented to the best blue merle at the November Championship Show.